Here’s a step-by-step guide to organizing a meal with friends over a WhatsApp group.
- Choose a place and decide on the number of people you want to invite.
- Make a reservation. I use Chope and Quandoo (use the referral code DEBASHIS5259JNW for 500 bonus points on your first reservation when signing up via iOS or Android) to make a lot of bookings. They do provide you with points that you can redeem for vouchers. Alternatively, you can call the restaurant directly.
- Announce the event on your WhatsApp group. Consider using the following format (copy and paste it, and make the necessary changes):
**Brunch/Lunch/Dinner at <Restaurant Name>** on <event date and time in format: Monday January 1st 2023 at 7:00pm>.
**Address:** Enter Address Here
**Dress Code:** Casual/Smart Casual/Formal
**Website:** <restaurant website link>
Who want’s to come?
1. @<Your Name Here>
n. <n being the number of people you plan to host>
Respond by <Respond by date and time>.
Be explicit if you need people to be able to send/receive electronic payments to settle the bill (very few people do not do this today).
- As people respond, they should reply to the message and drop in their names. As they do this, reply to their messages, and over-write their names with an @-mention.
- Once the event is full (or the respond by date has been exceeded), create a new Chat Group with the people who are going to coordinate the event.
- Once you’re at the event, have a fun time there. Remember to take photos of both the food, and yourselves!
- If you’re splitting the bill after one person pays, I recommend using the iOS app called “Plates” to help do the math (this works for up to 10 people).
- Settle up among one another.
- Share pictures on the main group and tell us about your experience.
- Do it all over again!